Quantitative aptitude questions on trains are a special case of time and distance problems. In this article, you will learn the concepts related to an important topic in Time, Speed and Distance i.e. Trains.
Formula's For Problems On Trains
1. Time taken by a train of length X meters to pass a pole or standing man or a signal post is = the time taken by the train to cover X meters.
2. Time taken by a train of length X meters to pass a stationary object of length b meters is = the time taken by the train to cover (X+ b) meters.
3. Suppose two trains or two objects bodies are moving in the same direction at u m/s and v m/s, where u > v, then their relative speed is = (u - v) m/s.
4. Suppose two trains or two objects bodies are moving in opposite directions at u m/s and v m/s, then their relative speed is = (u + v) m/s.
5. If two trains of length a meters and b meters are moving in opposite directions at um/s and v m/s, then:
The time taken by the trains to cross each other = (a + b) / (u + v) sec
6. If two trains of length a meters and b meters are moving in the same direction at um/s and v m/s, then:
The time taken by the faster train to cross the slower train = (a + b) / (u - v) sec
7. If two trains (or bodies) start at the same time from points A and B towards each other and after crossing they take a and b sec in reaching B and A respectively, then:
(A's speed) : (B's speed) = (√ b: √a )
Problems On Trains
1) A train is running at a speed of 40 km/hr and it crosses a post in 18 seconds. What is the length of the train?
A) 200 metres
B) 160 metres
C) 190 metres
D) 120 metres
2) A train, 130 metres long travels at a speed of 45 km/hr crosses a bridge in 30 seconds. The length of the bridge is
A) 235 metres
B) 245 metres
C) 270 metres
D) 220 metres
3) A train has a length of 150 metres. It is passing a man who is moving at 2 km/hr in the same direction of the train, in 3 seconds. Find out the speed of the train.
A) 152 km/hr
B) 169 km/hr
C) 182 km/hr
D) 180 km/hr
4) A train having a length of 240 metre passes a post in 24 seconds. How long will it take to pass a platform having a length of 650 metre?
A) 99 seconds
B) 89 seconds
C) 120 seconds
D) 80 seconds
Q5) Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the platform in 27 seconds and 17 seconds respectively and they cross each other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speeds is:
A) 1 : 3
B) 3 : 2
C) 3 : 4
D) None of these
Q6) Two trains of equal length are running on parallel lines in the same direction at 46 km/hr and 36 km/hr. The faster train passes the slower train in 36 seconds. The length of each train is:
A) 50 m
B) 72 m
C) 80 m
D) 82 m
Q7) A train travelling at 60 kmph crosses another train travelling in the same direction at 50 kmph in 30 seconds. What is the combined length of both the trains?
A) 250/3 metres
B) 250/7 metres
C) 255/3 metres
Q8) Two trains start at the same time from Pune and Delhi and proceed towards each other at 80 kmph and 95 kmph respectively. When they meet, it is found that one train has travelled 180 km more than the other. Find the distance between Delhi and Pune.
A) 1200 kms
B) 2120 kms
C) 2000 kms
D) 2100 kms
Q9) Indrayani Express leaves Pune for Bombay at 17:30 hrs and reaches Bombay at 21:30 hrs. While, Shatabdi, which leaves Bombay at 17:00 hrs reaches Pune at 20:30 hrs. At what time do they pass each other?
A) 19:06 hrs
B) 18:00 hrs
C) 19:16 hrs
Q10) A train of length 240 meters crosses a pole in 12 seconds. In what time it will cross a platform of length 400 meters?
A) 33 seconds
B) 35 seconds
C) 37 seconds
D) 39 seconds